The new year is a great time to go through your wardrobe and get rid of those items you didn’t wear in 2021. Once you clear what you don’t use you will feel like you have more to wear as you can actually see what you have.
1. First, get everything out of your wardrobe and drawers (and pick up from your chair-wardrobe!) and pile on the bed so you can go through everything. This also means you have to finish the task if you want to go to sleep that evening.
2. Go through every item individually and ask yourself the following questions:
- Did you wear it during the last year?
- Does it fit? Take ownership of the body you are in now and get rid of the clothes that are too small or the wrong fit that bring you down.
- Does it represent my style and do I feel confident wearing it?
- Is it sentimental?
- Does it need mending/dry cleaning?
- If it were in a shop today, would I buy it?
3. If you are keeping it, hang it back up in the wardrobe neatly in order of style. If you have time, go the extra mile by ironing everything so it’s available to wear immediately when needed.
4. Sentimental items can be packed away and stored somewhere else along with out of season clothes so that what’s in your wardrobe are just items you are currently wearing regularly.
5. Bag up the items you aren’t keeping to pass on to a friend, the charity shop or a textile recycling facility. To cash in on your unwanted items consider selling sites like Ebay, Depop, Vinted and Facebook Marketplace.
6. For the items that need mending or dry cleaning, aim to action that the same week.
Small Business Shout Out
Sunday & Soul is all about casual, comfy, colour.
Inspired by sunny places and happy faces, bringing joy and confidence through bright colours and bold prints. A women’s/unisex lifestyle brand with a sustainable and ethical footprint. Sizes range from 6 – 22 in most styles.
Founded by Em, a mum of two from Bristol with a background in brand and marketing during her second maternity leave in Lockdown 1.0, 2020.
They have a buzzing community – The Colourful Soul Crew – of nearly 20,000 wonderful humans that all share the desire to keep SUMMER IN THEIR SOUL – all year round!